Friday, February 19, 2010

Hot Yoga & Buddhism Applied to IF

I've really gotten into hot yoga (bik.ram). If you haven't tried it and it's in your city, I highly recommend it. I never was able to get into the 'regular' kinds of yoga because I always found myself a bit bored and wanting to get up and RUN instead. But hot yoga feels like an amazing stretch, stregthening/weight lifting, and RUN all in one!

I used to go 1-2x/month all last year after a friend introduced me to it. It's pretty expensive and I was training for a 1/2 marathon but I kept coming back. And the when I wanted to lose extra weight, I thought, my ticket is going to be hot yoga (& Weig.ht Wat.chers).

It's hard stuff. Takes 1 1/2 hours. Most instructors are great and in the last 2 months that I've been going 3-4x/week, I've gotten to know a lot of them well.

Yesterday's was GREAT. She kept adding snippets of meditative/life advice type stuff, which, depending on the person and what's being said may annoy me but she was AWESOME. So, she said something like this:

"Buddhism teaches us to not focus on what is missing in our lives
but to live life as 'is' and be at peace with that"

It totally got me yesterday. She must have said it better (and she also didn't claim to be an expert on buddhim). Because what I just wrote didn't 'get me' again right now.

Oh well. Hopefully you get the point. I know we all try, try, try to live in the moment and be happy for what we have but it at least hit me yesterday and I'll try to carry that with me today, tomorrow and beyond. Hope it works for you too.

4 comments:

  1. I never understood how yoga makes a person more relaxed -- whenever I stretched for sports or whatever, it didn't really have much of an effect. Maybe it has to do with the length of time spent doing it, or maybe that I'm not flexible at all, which makes it just a painful experience :P
    -------------------------------
    The Atheist Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that Buddhist quote. Thanks for sharing. I have never tried Hot Yoga. But I do like normal yoga. I will have to keep my eyes out for any classes in my neck of the woods. Thanks for visiting my blog the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote and reminds me of a book I love called "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie...

    I've also heard great things about hot yoga...I'm considering Pilates right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done hot yoga, but I do regular yoga twice a week. I almost consider it church (sorry that offends anyone) because my instructor for some reason always says the right thing to match how I'm feeling that week.

    Since I've started yoga I've really gotten into reading books on Buddhism.

    ReplyDelete